AssessmentsAssessments are the first step to becoming a Rat City Rollergirl. Are you ready?
2016 Assessment Dates: 4/2, 5/7, 6/4, 7/2, 8/6, 9/3, 10/1, 11/5, and 12/3
I am ready for Assessments. Now What?
- Register via our website, or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org ***** Must Register by Noon on the Friday before *****
- E-mail your completed RCRG New Member Packet to email@example.com. If you are unable to e-mail the packet, you may bring a hard copy to the assessment.
- Consider attending the RCRG Recreational Program before your assessment date.
Day of Assessment:
- Report to our facility, the Rat’s Nest in Shoreline, for check-in at 9:45 a.m.
- Please bring ALL of the following:
- Ten dollar assessment fee ($10.00 – CASH ONLY)
- Photocopied proof of current primary health insurance
- Photocopy of your driver’s license or state-issued ID
- Completed RCRG New Member Packet if you were unable to e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Quad roller skates, a full set of properly fitting safety gear (helmet, mouth guard, elbow pads, wrist guards, and knee pads) and athletic shoes.
What happens at Assessments?
Each assessment session is individually tailored to the league’s needs at the time, but as a general rule will include the following:
Open skate warm-up: This is to warm you up, but also to make sure everyone is clear on our minimum skills requirements. If you’re running into walls or endangering other skaters at tryouts, we’ll kindly ask you to brush up on your skills and come back next time.
Drills: Our coaches will conduct a series of skating drills designed to measure your current capabilities and identify areas for improvement.
What if I don’t make it to the Rat Lab or I’m not ready yet?
Don’t worry, keep skating! It can take months or even years to become a strong roller derby skater. If you aren’t chosen for the Rat Lab, keep working hard to prepare for the next assessment. Perseverance is also an important skill for a rollergirl! Don’t be discouraged, many current Rat City Rollergirls tried out more than once. Please come to our rec league fitskate and scrimmage to prepare for the future!